Saturday, September 14, 2013

37 minute studies


I am in the process of simplifying my work and decided that setting a timer on myself is the best way to keep my focus on bigger shapes and fewer values in order to complete my idea in 37 minutes.  I chose 37 minutes because it is an odd number and I recently read a newsletter by Robert Genn talking about using 37 strokes to complete a painting.  For now, 37 minutes is my goal and it is really making a difference.  I have timed myself in the past to stop the noodling with a painting, but this time, I find that it is working better.  When I began I promised myself that I would do this every day, no matter what was going on.  I have been faithful for the most part, but as always life interferes and I have missed a few days.  I plan to post these paintings here, the good, the bad and the ugly, for you to view and make up your own mind about this project.  I started this a couple of weeks ago and have missed a few days in between.  I am counting sketches from sketch group as well as small oil or pastel studies on location or in the studio.  Ideally, it would be best to do them from life, but using photos is part of what I do.  I have challenged my class to do these every day and we are going to share and discuss them at least twice a month in class.  The image here is my first day, which I was thrilled with, it is a small oil 9x12 which is a large as I want to go in oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment