Monday, October 28, 2013

Workshop Week

Last week I was lucky enough to participate in a workshop with Don Demers at The Quinlan Visual Art Center in Gainesville, GA. Don doesn't teach many workshops and came to Georgia at the request of Anne B Hill. It was a great week, with mostly beautiful weather, a little cold and windy a couple of days, but for the most part great. Don is a wonderful painter and a generous instructor both with his knowledge and his technical expertise. I came from the workshop with so much information to keep in my brain. I found myself focusing on slowing down and paying close attention to drawing, value and color during the workshop. I know that I will be doing lots more thumbnail sketches from now on. Suprise, suprise, they really do help with design and a general plan of action. One day we were at a marina on the lake and the light was brilliant. The photos above are of the scene and my beginning lay-in of my painting. I did manage to work a good bit on the painting, but lost the light and wound up chasing it. The painting remains unfinished, but the memory of the light and my process lingers for another days painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment