Friday, October 4, 2013

Class Demos





I returned to my class at Chastain Park this week on Wednesday and wondered why I told them before I left that I would demo in each class. I teach both oils and pastels and to be fair, I needed to devote equal time to each medium. So, that meant a demo in each medium on Wednesday. My gear had not come back from Maine, so I was scrambling to gather equipment and paint, pastels and paper to carry in for the demo. By the time I arrived at class, I was scattered to say the least. My pastellists are in my afternoon class, so I reserved that demo for the afternoon. I did a large demo in oil for the morning class which is still in progress. I have taken pictures of it in the mid process state and I will take final pictures when I complete it and will post the results here. The painting pictured here is my demo in pastel that I did in the afternoon class. I am happy with the results, which is not always the case. This was done on gray Sennelier pastel card and it went very quickly. I really loved working on the surface which lends itself to soft edges. I try to get my students to use hard pastels in the beginning to avoid filling the tooth of the paper, but I began with soft pastels and the effect was what I wanted in the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment