Friday, January 31, 2014

Class Demos, 1 in oil, 1 in pastel

At my last Wednesday classes, I did a demo in each class. I teach oil and pastel and decided to do the same painting in each oil and pastel to demonstrate the differences/similarities in each medium. The oil was done in the morning class and the pastel in the afternoon since my pastellists are in the afternoon class. I do this at home for my own information to see how the handling works for each. I find that I learn a lot each time I do it. Pastel can be anything you make it, but usually there is a lot more color in my pastels than my oils. It just works out that way. I have found lately that I am getting closer to having the same feeling in each of the mediums which was my intention from the beginning. This exercise is fun and interesting as each medium takes on a different look even though the approach is similar. Working in different mediums is a way to stretch my knowledge and pushes me to try new things. When I am blocked, quite often I will change mediums to move through the block. I encourage my students to try things and play to grow.

Sunset in the Snow-Pastel

Frozen Pond - Oil

   

No comments:

Post a Comment